District Conferences

Ben is away at a district pastoral conference. He'll be getting home today. We had initially planned on all of us going to the convention, sort of a mini-vacation for me and the kids while he would be busy at the conference. We went to the last one together and it worked out all right except that we had to expose the kids to contemporary worship and overhead projectors in the service. Luckily the kids had previously been immunized with a healthy dose of Church to tell the difference. When we walked up to the church that was hosting the convention, one of those more modern looking churches, Evelyn thought we were walking into a mall! But I think that was the look they were going for. Anyways, the kids and I skipped attending any of the conference and got to tool around the city. We found the mall - the real mall - and a Hobby Lobby. It was quite a relaxing time.

So along comes this convention and the topic is worship with subtopics of dramatic storytelling, children's sermons, use of technology, such as projectors, in the service, "rethinking the practical aspects of planning and doing liturgy" and various other signs of the times. We decided that he would just go by himself this time since you don't bring your family into a war zone. I could tell that he was already stressed about the conference and he would get no relief in a small hotel room with two little kids plying for his attention. He called me last night and said things were not so bad as he thought they were going to be. However he did say there was a critical difference between the convention speaker and himself, the former having a less confessional viewpoint. And of course the opening service was mangled, but what else would you expect?

Oh, well. I still would have liked to go. It beats staying at home in the country with no car and two bored kids and cold, rainy weather.

Comments

Caroline said…
We would get along so GREAT. I can NOT stand this contemporary worship. FYI - even our older children still despise this type of worship. My hubby also gets stressed about this stuff. I'm sure the voting at the convention in July will have him going - he's our circuit delegate.

By the way - you've been tagged for a meme. (Seven things you've learned in your lifetime.)
Emily H. said…
Caroline, I like you already! My husband is also going to the "Houston, we have a problem" convention. Maybe they'll meet, but by the size of the literature they've been sent it seems like there may not be very much spare time.

Thanks for the tag!
Susan said…
Worse to stay cooped up in the house, or to go endure not only contemp worship, but also the promotion of contemp worship? I dunno.... I kinda think I'd go for avoiding the heterodoxy. Of course, where there's a pool for kiddoes to play in and get worn out, and cable tv (with Food Network and CMT) then maybe the ostrich mommies can hide their heads in the sand while the daddies go out there and fight the battles.
Ladies, gents, and everyone else in between, I thought I'd give a brief report on that "Worship" conference I attended, since my wife mentioned it here. It was pretty much okay. The main presenter was one Dr. Gebauer from Concordia St. Paul. His presentation was decidedly in favor a listening to the historic witness for worship, founding everything on Christology and the Sacramental presence of Christ, and then from that point discussing what "new" things are appropriate. However, he seemed to think that worship is entirely a "horizontal" thing and not at all a "vertical" thing, since Christ's presence is in the Word and Sacraments among us. I think he failed to listen to the historic liturgy on this one: "Lift up your hearts," not to mention much of our hymnody. The other presenter gave lessons on how to manage your big-screen for worship and how-to and not-to address children in the Divine Service. I won't say much about that, other than some parts were good, some were *odd.*

For my part, I really expected it to be the district telling us how to institute the Divine Liturgy of Rocko and Socko. What with free-standing altars, it's just the perfect platform for puppet Masses. Luckily the conference didn't come anywhere near that level.

Popular Posts