The Invisible Church...

It's only something I learned about within the last three years. I must be a bad Lutheran to not know - it is quite a hot issue on the Internet. To just the regular church-goer it's not so much in everyday thought. I don't know how I missed learning about the invisibility of the Church, but I did. Instead I had been thinking all along that Lutherans believed that we are The Church with The One True Faith (which, I suppose, means that the Church is visible - that you could point to Lutherans and say there is the Church). I must have filled that in on my own though because I can't remember being taught that either. My point is not to debate invisible verses visible here, and I guess I don't really have a point at all. I just find it interesting that in the void of specifically being taught one way or the other, I came to believe the one way and not the other. Its something I will have to think about and study some more. Sehr interesant...

Comments

123 said…
Did you grow up in an all or primarily Lutheran family? I did not. My dad and his whole family were Catholic, and even extended family on my mom's side was Catholic, too. So, the question as to whether they were 'in the Church', which I guess we all believe is required to be saved oddly enough, was a question whose answer was always there: the church is invisible and made up of all they that believe enough of the right stuff. Our visible church was simply the best public confession of what that 'right stuff' was. It was all individualistic and minimalist and intellectual in some way, disincarnate.

Popular Posts