Christmas Cards!

Yes, I'm thinking about Christmas cards and it's only the beginning of November. And while I don't always appreciate the multitude of Christmas items showing up so early, Christmas cards are the one thing to which I give exception. For good reason... If I don't start working on them already, I will be hopelessly behind. What was meant as a Christmas card would end up as an Epiphany card at best! December is just too hopelessly busy to get any big projects done. Then begins the wading through of the endless varieties of cards - which, mind you, wouldn't be so bad if Ben and I weren't so picky about the cards we send, but we are. We don't like the non-religious (no Santas for us!), barely religious or all- encompassing religious, or the cutsie (trite) religious cards. Once in a while we've found a gem of a card from Hallmark's boxed cards (but those are usually gold-embossed and extra-expensive). Another option I've tried in the past is making our own cards (saves a bit in the wallet but you pay for it in the time spent). We've finally found an option that fits. We order our cards from The Printery House. They have a large selection of religious cards in varying costs (15.95 to 5.95 for 20 cards). It's very easy for us to find a good card that's in our budget. So how do you pick your Christmas cards? Let me know in the new poll on the left, in a comment, or both! If you have a really good place to get cards, share it!

Comments

Susan said…
My "Epiphany" cards (which were intended to be Christmas cards) didn't make it out last year in time for Baptism of our Lord (my third choice) or for Conversion of Paul (my fourth choice) or cute Valentines heartsy things (my fifth choice). So I sent out letters at the end of February. Oh well. People laughed at me. Didn't hurt me and did them good. :-)

Thanks for the link. I've noticed that the cards we receive that I like best often come from Conception Abbey, but I've never looked there myself until today.
Cha said…
I admit that we don't pick a single design and send it to all of our friends. We buy different sorts of cards, one kind for our Orthodox and Orthodox-minded friends, and another kind for our other Christian friends who aren't Orthodox, and still others for those we know who don't go to church. Some years we make cards, too. But we always try to include a recent family photo and a letter of some kind.
Caroline said…
We also like a religious themed Christmas card. We go out the week after Christmas and stock up on cards for years to come. I usually buy cards every 3 years. We send out about 60 a year, and buy them half-price after Christmas. I have our Christmas list on the computer and buy Christmas themed address labels and print out the list *snap* its done. Then add a Christmas newsletter complete with photos. Then sign each card with a short note. Fold. Stamp. Address. *Whew* tired just thinking about it! I'll do it all after Thanksgiving.
Dixie said…
Smart move to do the cards early. I am such a procrastinator to the point that I probably only get cards out in bulk every 3 or 4 years. Thanks to your idea I think I will do mine Thanksgiving weekend. I'll have some time then.

Buying cards has become extremely easy for me...my priest is an iconographer who runs his own business and he designs and sells Christmas cards which include his own iconography. His Christmas cards can be found here. And this one is my favorite!

Popular Posts