Teaching Children the Kyrie

Dominic never forgets to remind us to pray at mealtimes and bedtime. Being two he is not always so interested in coming to the table to eat and can be quite obstinate in joining us at the table. All that need be said to get him to the table is "we're going to pray". He cannot stand to be left out of the prayers and comes rushing in no matter what else he had been doing. He likes to try to say the words along with us and always adds a hearty amen at the end.
At bed time we say the Creed, the Lord's Prayer, and Luther's evening prayer. A couple of nights ago after we said those three, Dominic asked for another prayer. So at the spur of the moment I decided to teach him a simple kyrie - Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. Lord, have mercy. He picked it up right away and loved it. Now we say it every night and it is his favorite part. In fact he usually wants to repeat it several times so by the time we're done we've said a sevenfold kyrie at the least! I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner but I am much more glad that it came about at his prompting and desire for more prayer.

Comments
When my boys were little I was in a situation of wanting to add a prayer to the routine. I added a prayer from my youth...and worried for years because I didn't know if Lutherans prayed such a prayer!!!
Angel of God,
my guardian dear,
to whom God's love commits me here,
ever this day,
be at my side
to light and guard,
to rule and guide.
Later I learned Luther's morning and evening prayers and once I heard "let your holy angel be with me"...I figured it probably wasn't total heresy!
Wise choice, Emily! Wise and perfct.
It is, I think, the most important prayer for any Christian.
-C