Thanksgiving Plans


There is service (with communion!) on Thanksgiving Eve here at the White Church. It's a dual-parish event so the White Church is having the Brown Church over this year as it's their turn to host. Before service there is going to be a potluck. Yeah! We don't have any family visiting us this year so it will be nice to have a Thanksgiving dinner with our church family at least. The little children are going to sing a song before the service proper begins. I'm told that Evelyn actually sang during the rehearsal - blew me away! She never likes to sing unless it's her own song that she's made up (which she's very good at doing).
Our own Thanksgiving is going to be just the four of us and a modest meal. We have learned from past years to not "go all out" with the food since Ben and I will pretty much be the only ones eating it. The kids are not very fond of many of the typical thanksgiving foods. This year we asked Evelyn what she wanted to eat for her dinner and she said she wanted peanut butter and jelly. So the kid's menu is pb&j, some fruit chips (a special pick the kids wanted to have), and jello along with anything else they might like from the adult menu. There is simply no use forcing your kids to eat things they don't like on account of it being a different day of the year and in the process giving everyone involved a headache. And yes, we learned that the hard way. ;)
I hope everyone has a pleasant holiday!

Above picture: Evelyn and Dominic are enjoying a pile of leaves in our back yard - that's our garage in the background. The only time we bother to rake leaves in the country is when we want to play in them. :)

Comments

Dixie said…
Sounds like a very smart plan. We spent several years in Iowa with just my husband, the kids and I present for Thanksgiving dinner. Once I invited my boss and his wife...that was a total disaster. Another year I must have spent 8 hours preparing for the meal...we had everything...Turkey, green beans casserole, stuffing, sweet potatos, rolls, cranberry relish, pumpkin pie--all made from scratch. The kids ate some turkey and green beans and within 15 minutes were done and wanted to be excused. All that work for 15 minutes! Never again, I said. And to be sure...never again it was. Now I just bake pies and we go to my brother's house about an hour away. His wife is a good cook and loves to entertain--my antithesis. I am with your kids...some pbj is fine, fruit chips are good...oh and some stuffing, too!
Thanks for the cute picture. NOW I can see Dominic, and he's as adorable as Evelyn!

Feasting *before* communion, there's a new one...oh,well, I suppose you can consider that you are saving the best for last.

:-)
Anastasia
Emily H. said…
Anastasia! Gah!! I had forgotten about that aspect of food before Holy Communion! Now I'm perturbed.
:(

I have just started fasting before communion but I don't know of very many other Lutherans (especially those who are not pastors) who do fast before communion. It's not a "new one" for modern Lutherans. You put a good spin on it though and for someone who has Communion twice a month, I'm not about to get picky.
Are you having Thanksgiving in Greece?

Dixie, may the Lord grant you safe travels. I'll save my stuffing for you! ;)
Nope, no Thanksgiving here. Doubt I could even find a turkey if I tried, and I'd have to make dressing from scratch instead of from Pepperidge Farm.

To tell you the truth, skipping it once in a while (twice now, in the past 3 years) has been rather nice!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family and your congregations!

Anastasia

Popular Posts