Muddy Spring
It's beginning to look a lot like Spring. Today in Sunday School the kids planted bulbs in pots. The goal is to get them to grow and bloom in time to be decorations for Easter service. Our pot is watered and setting in the sunlight. It will be fun for the kids to see them sprout.
In the meantime, we've been playing outside in the warmer weather. Evelyn and Dominic, in their Croc boots, splash through the swampy backyard. Last year the church took the cement from behind our back door. It was slanted toward the house and when it rained, would pour the water next to the foundation. So they took that out and in place they put some temporary stepping stones. Needless to say, there is a large bare patch of mud all around our back door. Evelyn and then Dominic decided to walk across it. Well, they tried to anyways. It looked dry enough to the naked eye. In reality it was a big mud trap and they got stuck fast. Dominic was so stuck that he lost his balance and fell over, his hands sinking several inches in mud as he tried to catch himself. He popped back up and started to scream and wail because his hands were utterly covered in mud. Evelyn lost a boot as she tried to make her way out. They were both a muddy mess! After I plucked them from the mud, we had to go inside and get them baths right away. The whole time they were fussing and crying in the mud, I couldn't help myself from laughing though! Oh, I think it's a moment I'll never forget! I just wish I had had the camera ready. I do love Spring!
In the meantime, we've been playing outside in the warmer weather. Evelyn and Dominic, in their Croc boots, splash through the swampy backyard. Last year the church took the cement from behind our back door. It was slanted toward the house and when it rained, would pour the water next to the foundation. So they took that out and in place they put some temporary stepping stones. Needless to say, there is a large bare patch of mud all around our back door. Evelyn and then Dominic decided to walk across it. Well, they tried to anyways. It looked dry enough to the naked eye. In reality it was a big mud trap and they got stuck fast. Dominic was so stuck that he lost his balance and fell over, his hands sinking several inches in mud as he tried to catch himself. He popped back up and started to scream and wail because his hands were utterly covered in mud. Evelyn lost a boot as she tried to make her way out. They were both a muddy mess! After I plucked them from the mud, we had to go inside and get them baths right away. The whole time they were fussing and crying in the mud, I couldn't help myself from laughing though! Oh, I think it's a moment I'll never forget! I just wish I had had the camera ready. I do love Spring!

Comments
But then again...I remember those winters on the frozen tundra we call Iowa. And you are right, the first glimpse of Spring is received with overwhelming joy. I recall the Springs in Iowa to be the best Springs I have ever experienced.
Still...mud up to my elbow might be sufficient to quench that joy...just a bit.
Hope the cleanup went well. At least your mud is black and not this red clay stuff we have in Georgia which they have the nerve to call dirt!
Sometimes you just gotta laugh. It helped Evelyn, who was beginning to be convinced she should be crying along with Dominic, but when she saw I was laughing she started smiling too. :)