Peanut Allergy

When Dominic was just beginning to eat grown-up solid foods, I would give him bites of whatever I was eating. That was just fine until I let him have a bite of my peanut butter and jelly sandwich one day. Being my second child, I didn't have my head in the baby books like I did with Evelyn. It had completely slipped my mind that he shouldn't have peanut butter yet. He broke out into hives. It was completely horrifying at the time and I still feel guilty about it. Since that time he's been allergic to peanut butter. Even the least bit touching his mouth will raise red bumps around his face. We've been strictly keeping him away from peanut butter and praying in the meantime that he will out-grow the problem, as sometimes happens. When the rest of the family eats peanut butter, Dominic gets soy butter. Soy butter is not too bad tasting and is supposed to be healthier than peanut butter. We keep some children's benedryl around the house just in case but we haven't had to use it.

This morning at Sunday school an older kid gave Dominic a mini Snickers bar, which has peanuts in it. I didn't find this out until I found Dominic who had tucked himself away in a corner with his prize candy bar. He had already eaten a bite. I made him spit out what he had in his mouth but there was still chewed-up peanuts all over his teeth. I took him in the kitchen and gave him a drink of water and then prayed over him. If he broke out in hives... Let's just say I'm very good at worrying about what might happen.

I went with him to his Sunday school class and kept an eagle's eye on him. I kept waiting for the hives to show up. And I kept waiting. And I'm still waiting three hours later. No sign of a problem yet. I'm hoping that there won't be any problems show up later either. Maybe, just maybe, he's really and actually out-grown the allergy. We'll just have to wait and see.

Lord have mercy!

Comments

My granddaughter, Sydney, is also highly allergic to peanuts, in fact, to any nuts.

I'm glad Dominic hasn't had any reaction (and think he would have, by now, if he were going to) and pray he will outgrow it.
Our Eliana has a serious peanut allergy, serious enough the doctor requires her to have an Epi-pen wherever she goes. Thank God Dominic didn't have a reaction!

I hesitate to give advice (because it's obnoxious), but seriously consider getting him some allergy testing. Find a large clinic that specializes in allergies and get him an appointment. We have to travel nearly two hours for Eli's allergist, but he is a Pediatrician/ Allergist and is excellent.

And for God's sake, keep the peanuts out of your house until you know. I haven't had peanut butter for three years, so I can testify it's possible to survive :)

Sorry to be an obnoxious advice giver. Forgive me!
Emily H. said…
Thanks to all of you for your concern.

Update: Dominic did not have any reaction to the peanuts he ate.

We have of course been in contact with his doctor on this issue from the time it first turned up. At the time they said that they were not going to test him for allergies because he was too young and also because most young children at his age will automatically get hives if they eat peanut butter. The doctor's advice was to not give him any peanut butter until he was older. Dominic has a well-child doctor's appointment coming up and we will definately talk to him about this further.

Dominic has a problem with peanut butter but so far no other allergies to nuts or anything else. He can even eat things with peanut oil. But we're still extremely cautious.
John Wurst said…
Emily,

We keep little Dominic in our prayers. We hope all is well with him. Thanks for the update. We love you Dominic.

Grandma & Grandpa Wurst
Anonymous said…
Heat processing of peanuts to produce peanut oil (which most used for cooking is) destoys the protein that causes the reaction.

Cold Pressed (typically only gourmet peanut oils are processed this way) does not, and can be as dangerous as any other peanut product.

Popular Posts