Daughters of Men
Genesis Six (v. 1-8) seems like a curiosity, what with the sons of God marrying the daughters of men and having children with them (not to mention giants on the earth). I had been reading something from Tertullian where he talks about this passage in connection to dressing modestly, so I decided to go back and read through them again. I read them to see what Tertullian was talking about, then I read them again a few more times just to try to understand them by themselves. And you know what? It still seemed like an odd thing. Why would it be mentioned, except maybe to illustrate how wicked mankind was.
I try to keep a short reading list for myself. Sometimes that doesn't work, so this time I had been reading a church father and another book, a section of which talked about Mary. With that fresh in my mind, I started to see where this odd account might be not so odd in light of the Annunciation. There seemed to be a correlation between the two, albeit in a opposite sort of way.
(v.1-2) Now it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw the daughters of men, that they were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves of all whom they chose." (v.4) "There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterwards, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.
The fallen angels looked at the daughters and saw that they were beautiful, a mere outward quality that made them desirable. The women seemed to be unable or unwilling to resist them since "all of whom they chose" did not reject them and all were taken as wives. Womankind, it seemed, had little choice in the matter, or as Tertullian said "Women who possessed angels (as husbands) could desire nothing more; they had, forsooth, made a grand match!". (I think he means it was a grand match in that they deserved each other - sin makes a grand match for sin - it was not a good match.) So entrenched, the daughters of men even bore children to them.
In dazzling opposition is Mary the Mother of our Lord. Mary was approached by an angel - this time it was not because of her outward beauty but because she was highly favored in the eyes of God who searches the heart. In faith she became the handmaid of the Lord. Unlike the daughters who were chosen and taken, Mary is the one who has the choice and her response to the angel is "let it be to me according to your word". She bore not a mighty man, as did the daughters of men, but the very Son of God made flesh. Glory to God in the highest.
(v.3) And the Lord said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh..." (v.5-8) Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. So the Lord said, "I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them." But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.
"My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh..." in contrast to "The Holy Spirit will come upon you , and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God". When the Lord would have destroyed man and creation, yet Noah found grace, so also Mary finds favor and in Christ, man and creation find peace and goodwill restored rather than destruction. (Of interest as a side note, the daughters of men passage is preceded by the genealogy of Adam and the account of the Annunciation ,in Matthew, is preceded by the genealogy of Jesus Christ - not sure if that means anything significant, or just a coincidence.) I found the comparison interesting food for thought, but what do you think?
I try to keep a short reading list for myself. Sometimes that doesn't work, so this time I had been reading a church father and another book, a section of which talked about Mary. With that fresh in my mind, I started to see where this odd account might be not so odd in light of the Annunciation. There seemed to be a correlation between the two, albeit in a opposite sort of way.
(v.1-2) Now it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw the daughters of men, that they were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves of all whom they chose." (v.4) "There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterwards, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.
The fallen angels looked at the daughters and saw that they were beautiful, a mere outward quality that made them desirable. The women seemed to be unable or unwilling to resist them since "all of whom they chose" did not reject them and all were taken as wives. Womankind, it seemed, had little choice in the matter, or as Tertullian said "Women who possessed angels (as husbands) could desire nothing more; they had, forsooth, made a grand match!". (I think he means it was a grand match in that they deserved each other - sin makes a grand match for sin - it was not a good match.) So entrenched, the daughters of men even bore children to them.
In dazzling opposition is Mary the Mother of our Lord. Mary was approached by an angel - this time it was not because of her outward beauty but because she was highly favored in the eyes of God who searches the heart. In faith she became the handmaid of the Lord. Unlike the daughters who were chosen and taken, Mary is the one who has the choice and her response to the angel is "let it be to me according to your word". She bore not a mighty man, as did the daughters of men, but the very Son of God made flesh. Glory to God in the highest.
(v.3) And the Lord said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh..." (v.5-8) Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. So the Lord said, "I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them." But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.
"My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh..." in contrast to "The Holy Spirit will come upon you , and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God". When the Lord would have destroyed man and creation, yet Noah found grace, so also Mary finds favor and in Christ, man and creation find peace and goodwill restored rather than destruction. (Of interest as a side note, the daughters of men passage is preceded by the genealogy of Adam and the account of the Annunciation ,in Matthew, is preceded by the genealogy of Jesus Christ - not sure if that means anything significant, or just a coincidence.) I found the comparison interesting food for thought, but what do you think?

Comments
Btw, I don't think it's coincidental about the genealogies prior to each one. That's a really neat observation! Thanks!