Church had just finished. It was a non-communion Sunday. Evelyn realizes it's the end of the service already and, noticing something important was missing, says "We didn't have Communion!"
How about "It's not so important that we have to have it every week" or "Only semi-pagan Catholics do it every week"? :)
There is an old canon that says a Christian is to not miss the synaxis (Liturgy, Communion) for 3 weeks in a row without cause, otherwise one has 'excommunicated' oneself. So, as long as she's in under that wire, she's fine.
That's a sweet, and important, realization your little Amma had.
It's a tricky question to navigate and I don't like that I have to do it. I distinctly *don't* want to give her the impression that it's not important.
Christopher, by the old canon she would have excommunicated herself three weeks after her baptism then.
I usually try to answer my kid's questions as best I can and then add "ask your Daddy". ;)
By the old canon most Orthodox have excommunicated themselves, too, since the only receive on Pascha or during the fasts. At a Serbian convent in Indiana, the only ones that communed while I was there were the priest and very young children visiting; the abbess, nuns and novices had a less frequent communing schedule.
Perhaps they were Lutheran, I never really asked. :)
Comments
There is an old canon that says a Christian is to not miss the synaxis (Liturgy, Communion) for 3 weeks in a row without cause, otherwise one has 'excommunicated' oneself. So, as long as she's in under that wire, she's fine.
That's a sweet, and important, realization your little Amma had.
Christopher, by the old canon she would have excommunicated herself three weeks after her baptism then.
I usually try to answer my kid's questions as best I can and then add "ask your Daddy". ;)
Perhaps they were Lutheran, I never really asked. :)