New School - Old Connections

Evelyn is getting settled into her new school. Her teacher tells me that she has made friends and is well adjusted to her class. Her new class has an equal amount of boys and girls, which I think makes it easier for her to find a girl friend. There are three Kindergarten classes at her new school with a total of about 90 Kindergartners. That's quite a change from one class at her old school with 20 kids, almost all boys. Lots of little kids ride on her bus. The other day when I was helping her onto the bus I heard a chorus of little girls calling, "Evelyn, sit with us!" I am so happy for her. She doesn't have as far to go on her bus ride to and from school so her day is actually shorter, which is nice because then we get to spend more time with her. So far the only bad thing about going to a new school has been that the regional germs are different; she's been sick quite often.

The neat thing about her new school is that my mother and her brothers went to that school, I also went to that school, and now Evelyn is going there. It is very nice to have a sense of connection to a place, a sense of personal history to share with your children. It is fun to drive around and point out things like where we lived before Dominic was born, places we used to take Evelyn when she was a baby and the kids love it because they get to discover what their lives were like before their memory.

Comments

Cha said…
My kids go to the middle school I attended, too (there's even a teacher or 2 teaching there now who were teaching there when I was in middle school!!!).

It is sort of nice - yet strange - to have that connection, isn't it?
Emily H. said…
In college I had a professor that had also taught my mother in college - that *was* strange!
DebD said…
When you mentioned in your previous post that you had recently moved I thought it meant before I started following your blog. But, you meant *very* recently moved.

How sweet to have those happy connections for you and the children. I hope you are getting settled.
Emily H. said…
Yes, it was very recently. We moved in January. If you want to know more about it you can check out my husband's blog, Paredwka, listed on "my blog list".

Popular Posts