Fall Apples

My parents have some apple trees on the edge of their property. Nana and the kids picked a wagon-full of apples. Nana showed Evelyn and Dominic how to climb the apple trees. They had a lot of fun doing that. It looks like we'll be eating home-made applesauce and apple-crisp for a while. I'm not looking forward to peeling all those apples, but it will be a tasty fall treat when it's done.

The next morning Dominic wanted to go climb the apple tree again. So after Evelyn was on the bus, that's just what we did. He was a good climber but once in a while he would get stuck and need some help. Here are some pictures of the interesting things we found on the apple tree.


Our little guy under the apple tree.


Juicy, red apples.


Lichen makes a colorful splash on the tree trunk.



Another "apple" falls from the tree.

Comments

Cha said…
Beautiful photos, Emily!

I love all of the wonderful things to make with fresh apples, and I don't like peeling them either. Many years ago I bought an Apple Master (peeler, corer, slicer) and I drag it out every year at this time. Haven't had to prepare apples for cooking for a long time. And my kids still like to turn the crank on this tool ...
Very pretty pictures!

Ah, to be able to climb a tree again! I remember climbing a tall tree in my grandmoter's back yard. She lived in New Jersey, and from the top of the tree, on a clear day, we could see the Manhattan skyline.

And there was a certain procedure you had to follow to make it to the top of the tree; it had to be done in a particular way, which we kids mastered: right foot here, left hand there, grab hold of this branch, not that one...

And then there was the tree I used to climb in college, to get away from it all. It was huge and gnarled and full of lovers' initials, carved a very long time ago. The tree was in a meadow and when I was in it, nobody but could see me but the horses in an adjoining pasture. I used to do my homework up there on fine days, or even catch a nap wedged between the branches.

Love apple desserts, but like the rest, dislike preparing the apples. And no gadget I've come across yet does a good enough job. Usually they bore a hole where the core isn't, or at the wrong angle.
I've been wanting to go apple picking lately. Looks like a fun day!

I got an apple peeler as gift a couple of years ago, and it's one of my favorite kitchen gadgets ever. Apple sauce and apple crisp happen around here a lot more frequently since we got that.
Rosko said…
Off topic, I visited Fort Wayne, and St John Chrysostom Church but I guess I missed you all again. I've been wanting to meet you and your family for a while, since I was following Ben's blog back when I was still Lutheran. Maybe there will be another time.


Harry/Rosko
DebD said…
Lovely photos! The tree itself is beautiful with all those shiny red apples.
Emily H. said…
Rosko, we would have loved to meet you! We weren't in church this last Sunday - I had to take Dominic to the ER to get a staple in the head, so we missed church. Kyrie eleison!

Let us know if you're going to be in town and we'll, God willing, try to be there too. :)

Popular Posts