Finding a Place
Sunday School Registration was this past Sunday. Regina talked to us about signing our kids up for the class. We asked about who would be the teacher and found out that there was no one to be the teacher yet. So after a little nudge from my husband, I volunteered to do it and was happily accepted. My kids will make up half of the class anyways. I just wasn't sure that they would want someone who wasn't yet chrismated to be teaching. (But having said that, I don't think that's how the people in our church think of us who are not-yet-chrismated. Instead, it seems that we were concieved into the Church at the Prayer of the Catechumens, where we are growing and forming until the time of our chrismation (not that the growth ends there even) as a delivery into the fullness of the Church. Even before your unborn child is born, they are still a part of the family and fully treated as such. This is how the people in our church treat us; as family, albeit in a different stage of developement, as we all are.) Besides, there are Sunday school materials to help me teach the children, so it's not like I have to come up with the teaching materials by myself. I think I might even look forward to this! Lord, let your holiness descend upon the littlest of St. John Chrysostom!
I've taught Lutheran Sunday school in the past, pretty low key - play dough, coloring, short reading lesson, small projects. I wonder how alike Orthodox Sunday school is or should be. ??? I guess it's something I'll figure out as I go. Regina is going to be getting some small tables and chairs to fit the children, which I think is extremely nice and the kids will love it. I think I'm allowed to decorate the room too...
Also on the same Sunday, I was asked to help (if I wanted) with the Ladies Group. Since I can't make the meetings, or be in Fort Wayne all the time, it looks like I will be the one to do most of the computer work related to the Baklava sale that the ladies do once a year. I might even be able to stop in earlier on Saturdays to help with the baking or whatever else needs to be done since we're already there on Saturdays for catechesis. I wouldn't mind knowing how to make Baklava anyways, especially since theirs is rumored to be very, very good!
And here I had just been thinking during the service that I'm not sure where I fit into this congregation just yet. Well, problem solved!
I've taught Lutheran Sunday school in the past, pretty low key - play dough, coloring, short reading lesson, small projects. I wonder how alike Orthodox Sunday school is or should be. ??? I guess it's something I'll figure out as I go. Regina is going to be getting some small tables and chairs to fit the children, which I think is extremely nice and the kids will love it. I think I'm allowed to decorate the room too...
Also on the same Sunday, I was asked to help (if I wanted) with the Ladies Group. Since I can't make the meetings, or be in Fort Wayne all the time, it looks like I will be the one to do most of the computer work related to the Baklava sale that the ladies do once a year. I might even be able to stop in earlier on Saturdays to help with the baking or whatever else needs to be done since we're already there on Saturdays for catechesis. I wouldn't mind knowing how to make Baklava anyways, especially since theirs is rumored to be very, very good!
And here I had just been thinking during the service that I'm not sure where I fit into this congregation just yet. Well, problem solved!

Comments
Oh well. I trust that God will give you the grace needed to do it.
Oh Emily...this is perfect for you! Especially since you have such a gift with children. You'll love Orthodox Sunday school. There is an emphasis on both the knowing and the DOING. Teaching the children what to pray and how to light their candles each Sunday. Teaching them the proper means of venerating the icons. Telling them the stories of the saints. Our SS even had the little ones bake Prospheron one Sunday. And in the process you will learn, too. I know cradle Orthodox who have never really been taught the proper ways of doing things and why but learn this in teaching SS. Have fun with it and good for Ben for nudging you!