Getting A Boy to Read

Dominic has taken a long time to show any interest in reading. He's more interested in activity-based play. However Kindergarten is coming up soon and I would like him to be ready to learn. I've been working with him on this, un-beknownst to him. We play "Stump Dominic" as he settles into bed every night. It goes like this: I write a word on a Glo-Board and see if he can sound it out and read it. Usually he needs some help but it always ends like this - "Oh, you're too smart! I can't stump you this time!"
Now we are working on reading sentences. He didn't want to read sentences and would just clam up. So to make it fun I went along with his pleas of "trick or treat, smell my feet". Fine, I'll smell your feet after you've read a whole sentence. And then wasn't he motivated!! He read as many sentences as I could write just to see me smell his stinky little feet and fall over from the smell amidst a cacophony of giggles.
Let it never be said that a mother won't go to any lengths for her children.
I'm just hoping his Kindergarten teacher won't have to do the same...
Now we are working on reading sentences. He didn't want to read sentences and would just clam up. So to make it fun I went along with his pleas of "trick or treat, smell my feet". Fine, I'll smell your feet after you've read a whole sentence. And then wasn't he motivated!! He read as many sentences as I could write just to see me smell his stinky little feet and fall over from the smell amidst a cacophony of giggles.
Let it never be said that a mother won't go to any lengths for her children.
I'm just hoping his Kindergarten teacher won't have to do the same...

Comments