Orthodoxy in Duluth




During our stay in Duluth, MN we went to church at St. George Serbian Orthodox Church. This was the first time we've been to a Serbian church. Some of the service was in English but it was very easy to follow along when it wasn't as the music was the same. We had spoken with Father Zoran ahead of time and he knew we would be attending. He said that we should follow our home congregation's practice concerning communion but that amongst this congregation they only took communion so many number of times during the year.

One interesting thing that was different from our Antiochian parish was the placement of the sermon. Our sermon comes after the reading of the Gospel, but at St. George it comes after the priest has received communion. After the sermon the rest of the congregation receives communion (which was one little girl and our family). Speaking with the Deacon after service about this difference, he noted that it was good for a priest to receive communion before speaking the Word but that other ways also had their good points.











The people of the church were very welcoming and interested in how we came to visit them. The ladies made sure we all had some kolyva from the memorial at the end of the service. It was just like our Antiochian version except that they decorated theirs with red hots in the shape of a cross.





The iconostasis was written by a famous iconographer in the area, very well done in more of a Russian style. The side walls were painted with murals of famous Western religious motifs. They also had very beautiful icon windows with various saints. Showing our pictures to family, everyone wanted to know who was the saint in the well? I didn't know and was hoping maybe one of you know this saint.



Comments

elizabeth said…
I too would love to know about the icon of this Saint in the well!

It is good to experience various churches within Orthodoxy!
margaret said…
In both my churches, the Russian and the Greek, the sermon is at the end right before the antidoron.

The saint in the well looks as if he's wearing a coptic mantia... a bit. Intriguing. I will ask my Egyptian friends about him.
123 said…
The sermon seems to fall at one of three times: after the Gospel (the most historically accurate), after the priests' communion and before the laity communes, at the end of the service. Of course, I've been to services where there is no sermon at all, too, or multiple sermonettes.

At first I wondered whether he was a stylite, but that doesn't seem quite right. He is definitely a monk. It may also be a saint who enclosed himself in something or other, a tower, etc. There is normally writing at the bottom of such windows, which might have given a hint with a little Cyrillic decoding (though sometimes it's just the name of the donor). I'm not as versed in the ancient Serbian saints beyond Sava, Basil of Ostrog and Tsar St Lazar. Write the priest and ask him for us!

I can't remember whether I went to the Serbian or the Greek church in Duluth when I was visiting my wife (she was dancing with a ballet company there at the time - it was warmer in her freezer than outside! So cold.)
Anonymous said…
I wonder if it's St. Joseph of Arimathea who, according to tradition, was connected with a well at Glastonbury, England.
Mimi said…
There's a Serbian parish near my parents' house (I love to attend there) and when I was little I knew the priest there, we lived in the same apartment complex. He used to stop and talk to me, and give me a blessing, so when I told my mom I was going to become Orthodox, she said, "I know"

Anyway, I digress, this Serbian parish also has few communicants, and the Sermon at the end of the service.

I'm also curious about the saint.
123 said…
The tradition across most of the Orthodox world until not too long ago was to commune rarely - once a year, four times a year, etc. This was accompanied by rather extensive preparation in the days or weeks before including fasting, confession, an extended prayer rule, attendance at services before Liturgy, etc. These practices are still observed in various parts of the Orthodox Church and are far more common than one might think from OCA, Antiochian and GOA parish practice.
123 said…
At the stavropegial Serbian convent outside South Bend, IN on a random Liturgy during the year, only the hieromonk and the young children communed and that was it - neither the abbess nor the nuns communed, so I didn't feel like I was being excluded (I was following their monastic rule!)

More frequent communion was a major part of the Kollyvades Movement stemming from Mt Athos in the 18th Century. St. Nicodemus the Athonite was for it, many others were against it.
Rosko said…
The Saint is St Alypius the Stylite, and that's a pillar, not a well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alypius_the_Stylite

Popular Posts