Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future


I just finished reading Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future (5th ed.) by Fr. Seraphim Rose. It was an enlightening look at modern times and the future of religion. It's a "must read" for Orthodox Christians, Orthodox parents and all Christians. From the back cover:
"The present book examines in eight chapters these and similar questions facing Christians in the contemporary world. The religious phenomena of today are symptoms of a "new religious consciousness" that is preparing the world religion of the future. Phenomena such as Yoga, Zen, Tantra, Transendental Meditaion, Haharaji-ji, Hare Krishna, UFO's, the charismatic movement and Jonestown are presented in contrast to the Orthodox Patristic standard of spiritual life, without the understanding of which, in the coming time of anitchrist, it will scarcely be possible for Christian to be saved."


I was surprised at how all these are creeping into Christianity without notice and it was even scarier to see traces of it in my own history. When I was a young Lutheran, our pastor took the youth group out to Estes Park, Colorado for a youth retreat. One of the things they had us youth do was sit together in a small group to pray and open ourselves up to hear or see a vision from God. And things happened as a result of this prayer session. I can now see how clearly dangerous this was! And all under the solid disguise of being Christian! Praise God that I was kept from being enchanted by this contemporary, charismatic spirituality.

Comments

123 said…
Your retreat experience obviously had contemporary roots in Charismaticism and Pentecostalism, but one can also trace its pedigree back to the use of imagination in the spiritual exercises of the RCC. I'm not sure what the history of this sort of spiritual practice is in the RCC prior to Loyola, or whether it was an innovation of his.
elizabeth said…
Thank God indeed...
Michelle M. said…
Yes, praise God! I remember reading a book about "evil spirits" when I was an evangelical, and I felt like it actually opened up a person to them as they were reading the book. I stopped reading immediately. I've always thought, even before I was Orthodox, that opening yourself up like that is dangerous. I'm glad that God protected me as well.

Popular Posts