Orthodoxy Sunday and Meeting Fr. Peter

Orthodoxy Sunday was very nice this year. I made sure our Sunday school class was very short so we could get back to church in time for the procession. Both Dominic and Evelyn got to carry icons. (I think Dominic had been waiting all year to get a chance to do this!) They did a very good job! The kids had smiles on their faces when they stood at the front and we all cried, "this is the Orthodox faith". Ben heard Dominic tell Evelyn, "this is cool!".

So... we didn't get to go to Pan-Orthodox Vespers with Father Peter Gillquist. We had decided not to go to the Vespers on account of the time change and the late hour of Vespers not being good for the kids having to get up early for school the next day. We were all pretty exhausted. We had the Liturgy of St. Basil at our church Sunday morning which meant service took a little longer. It seemed like it took longer to get the church cleaned up after Liturgy too. A very long time. So long in fact that we were still sitting around at church trying to figure out what to do for a late lunch with the kids when Fr. George and Kh. Charlotte came back to the church. They told us that Fr. Peter was just coming over at this moment for a tour of our new church building. Kh. Charlotte introduced us to Fr. Peter and his wife. We got to talk very briefly. I was glad we got to meet him even though we couldn't be at Vespers.

Dominic holding the icon of Christ raising Lazarus

Father Anthony

The kids walking with their icons

Standing at the front of the church

Father George and Father Anthony

Comments

123 said…
I met Fr. Peter Gilquist at a pan-Otrhodox Vespers at the Antiochian Cathedral in Brooklyn (in 2000?). It was probably for the Sunday of Orthodoxy, but I was so new to Orthodoxy then that I can't remember.
Mimi said…
I've never met Father Peter, but what a blessing!

Great photos! Very fine icon carrying!

Popular Posts