Hidden and Triumphant - New Reading Material!


Ben found a book he thought I would enjoy when he stopped in at Borders on it's final closing sale. The book is Hidden and Triumphant, The Struggle to Save Russian Iconography by Irina Yazykova. Paging through it looks like it will be very interesting. Here's a short quote from the introductory chapter:

"An icon is painted both in prayer and for prayer, for the purpose of teaching us to see the world as God and the saints see the world: as already redeemed and transfigured, made new under God - a world conquered by love.

One often hears that Orthodox Christians pray to icons, but that is not altogether accurate. Yet it is true that those of Orthodox faith pray to God while standing before an icon. But they prayer in each instance is addressed to Jesus Christ as the image (or icon) of God, as it is Christ that the icon ultimately represents.

An icon of the Mother of God portrays not simply a pious and lovely woman, but the woman through whom Christ came into our world. That is why most icons depict Mary holding Jesus in her arms.

If an icon depicts a saint, its real purpose is to bring us face to face with someone in whom Christ's goodness shines forth. Long before there were any icons, Saint Paul wrote, "My little children, of whom I travail again in birth, until Christ be formed in you" (Galatians 4:19). In icons, as in Orthodox tradition, a saint is someone who has been formed by Christ and in whom we find the light and countenance of Christ."

Comments

Mimi said…
I was sad to not love this book as much as I thought I would.
Perhaps, I need to re-read it.

Popular Posts