Mikhail Nesterov - Russian Painter

I found a book at the library that looked very interesting; Russia, The Land, The People, Russian Painting 1850-1910. I was surprised to find I knew only barely two of the artists featured in the book but which left many new artists to discover. The paintings of these Russian artists are genuine masterpieces! I thought I would share a few of them with you.

Mikhail Nesterov was a realist painter. He painted murals in St. Vladimir's Cathedral in Kiev, in the Cathedral of the Resurrection in Petersburg, and in the Marfo-Marinsky Monastery in Moscow. His earlier work focused on religious topics. "The theme of hermits, monks, and others who have left the life of this world for that of solitude and peace of mind recurs throughout the career of Nesterov, who set aside a special place for moral-ethical problems of art."


A Fox


Hermit

On the Eve of Annunciation Feast

Philosophers, Portrait of Pavel Florenskiy and Sergey Bulgakov

Prince Alexander Nevsky

Taking the Veil

Vision To Youth Bartholomew


To see more of his work, and it is well worth it, visit this link. His portraits are especially charming and his landscapes romantic (in the artistic sense of the word). You'll find more monastery scenes and saints too, like Youth Of Saint Sergiy Radonezhsky.

Comments

elizabeth said…
How lovely! I've seen some of these pictures before but not all and I really enjoyed seeing them. Thank you!
Mimi said…
My youngest's patron is St. Bartholomew, I particularly love the last one!

Thank you!
Michelle M. said…
I love these! Thank you for sharing the link.

Popular Posts