The sparrow that God cares for

"A group of children were deeply disappointed, even dis-illusioned, when I explained to them that animals do not have eternal live as individuals. My error was serious, because children love animals in a personalized way, and pray for their pets by name. I realised my blunder when one child asked with great sorrow, 'What, isn't even the donkey who carried Jesus into Jerusalem in heaven?' The wound took a lot of healing, and I am afraid scars remained. From then on I have often referred to the sparrow that God cares for, to saints who were close to animals, to contemporary elders with tame pets, and to miracles of animal's healing."
- Conversations with Children by Sister Magdalen

Monk with feathered friend, Mar Saba Monastery.

Monks feed a calf and kids, Holy Cross Hermitage.

Abbot Tryphon and Hammi, All-Merciful Saviour Monastery.

Russian Orthodox monk feeds cats.

Monks are greeted by Branwynn, the monastery dog of Saints Mary and Martha Orthodox Monastery.

Brother Christopher stands with Astro, a German shepherd dog, New Skete Monastery.

Priest Seraphim and goats Tulip and Princess, Hermitage of the Holy Cross.


Serbian Monk and wolf companion.

Comments

Matushka Anna said…
The dog I remember from Sts. Mary and Martha Monastery is Laufey, a large collie. One night when we were all gathered in the living room he decided that my extended legs (I was sitting on the floor) represented the perfect bed and could not be persuaded to leave. The more I rubbed his tummy the more he writhed around until he fell off. (:
amy said…
Ah! What blessings † I have several photos of those goats from Holy Cross, too : ) Loved the video..
Emily H. said…
Mat. Anna, you've been to that monastery? Neat! And Amy, you've been to Holy Cross? Can one be piously envious?

We haven't been able to visit a monastery yet though we would really like to do so! The closest monastery to us is Dormition Monastery in Rives Junction, MI.

Some day...

Popular Posts