That is how important a monk's prayer is.



I'll say something that will seem grossly excessive to you. But I want you to believe it. It is about the contribution of a monk's prayer. Listen to me carefully.

Let us assume that there are seven educated preachers who live holy lives. Their rhetorical skill is unparalleled. Each has a parish with ten thousand parishioners. Every day their words are heard by seventy thousand people. Thousands who hear them are moved to repentance and return to Christ. Whole families are saved. Nevertheless, one monk whom no one sees and who sits in a cave somewhere has a much greater effect with his humble prayer. One produces a greater effect than seven. That is what I see. I am sure of it. That is how important a monk's prayer is. He is on his own in his cell, but the reverberations of his prayer reach everyone, even if they are far off. With his prayer, the monk participates in all the problems which people face and works miracles. His contribution, accordingly, is greater than that of the most gifted and worthy preacher.


- Elder Porphyrios, Wounded by Love
Icon: Saint Alexander of Oshevensk, founder of the Oshevensk Dormition Monastery

Comments

elizabeth said…
Thank you for this.
Anonymous said…
A powerful reminder. Thanks!
Mimi said…
What a beautiful icon, thank you!

Popular Posts