Write More Letters

Do you write letters to anyone?
I do.
Writing a letter is so wonderful in our digital age. It allows time to think as words are scrawled out one letter at a time. If you're like me, your hand starts to cramp after the first paragraph and you have to shake the cramp out of your hand repeatedly. Mistakes aren't auto-corrected, you cross them out, write oops in parenthesis and keep going. Reading a hand written letter is just as neat. Your eye slides over loping and haphazard scribblings and you think, wow, this came from so-and-so's own hand. No one else could have written the letters just so and crafted the letter in just such a way. It's so much more personal.
I love it!

Comments

Sasha said…
Wonderful idea. :) I haven't written letters in a long time. Because of the snail-mail speed it feels inefficient to do that. Kind of: "you'll read this when it's in the past, by then we'll have spoken to each other a few times, so what's the point..." But still, it's personal and nice.
Emily H. said…
It's an interesting phenomenon to write something that will be in the past by the time someone reads it. I like it, though, because it allows me to think from a different perspective. If something is bothering me it might seem like a big deal right now but in a week's time...? By then it isn't a big deal anymore so why carry on about it now?

Popular Posts