Forgotten Language


Once I spoke the language of the flowers.
Once I understood each word the caterpillar said,
Once I smiled in secret at the gossip of the starlings,
And share a conversation with the housefly
    in my bed.

Once I heart and answered all the questions
    of the crickets.

And joined the crying of each falling dying
    flake of snow,

Once I spoke the language of the flowers...
    How did it go?
    How did it go?

- Forgotten Language by Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends

Comments

Reminds me of my sister, when she was very small, trying to get a housfly to obey her thecway thevdog used to. "Sit!" "Come!" etc.
Reminds me of my sister, when she was very small, trying to get a housfly to obey her thecway thevdog used to. "Sit!" "Come!" etc.
Anonymous said…
This poem is a favorite. Happy to see it on your blog, Emily! The things we lose as we grow up. "Unless you become like little children...."

Popular Posts