But How Few Who Even Read the Gospel!

"Lord, Thou continually conquerest hell in me, in accordance with my prayer; and if I am not yet in hell, it is through Thy mercy, Conqueror of hell, my Lord! Glory to Thee, our Benefactor, our Savior! How would it have been with us without Thee? We should truly have been like the beasts, and should have exterminated each other. As it is with separate individuals, so it is also with nations. If separate individuals and nations lived in accordance with Thy Gospel, then there would not be any enmity, dissension, wars. When shall we fully acknowledge the necessity for our temporal and eternal good - to live in accordance with the Gospel? But now how few there are who even read the Gospel!"

- St. John of Kronstadt, My Life in Christ

I received a copy of My Life in Christ as a Christmas present and I have really been enjoying the words of St. John of Kronstadt. He has a plain and simple way of writing that cuts right to the heart - or at least I very often find myself convicted, but just as often find peace and assurance of God's eternal love for us. This book has been a true gem! I think this will be number one on my Lenten reading list. What are all of you going to read this Lent? Or do you have other plans?

Comments

elizabeth said…
what a beautiful quote! I am reading Elder Porphyrios right now and am thinking more on what I will be doing for Lent...

Popular Posts