It Is But Smoke



"When on your way to God you meet obstacles raised up by the Devil: doubt and unbelief of heart, also a thorough ill-feeling, sometimes towards persons worthy of absolute respect and love, as well as other passions. Do not be disturbed by them, but know that it is but the smoke of the enemy, which will be dispersed at a sign from our Lord Jesus Christ."
- St. John of Kronstadt, My Life in Christ

I found this one paragraph to be wonderful Lenten encouragement! How easy it is to get lost in the smoke, but it is so important to remember to make the sign of the cross over our hearts and begin anew each moment! How I needed to read that!

(The picture is from The Presentation of Christ at the Temple Sunday when it it traditional to have your candles blessed in church. I was very happy to have received some beeswax tapers from a monastery at Christmas time. The beeswax candles really do smell so lovely!)

Comments

Popular Posts