Spring Garden Notes


Lamb's Ear: This year the Lamb's Ear finally decided that it might like to stay. It was transplanted last year to the fence corner which is pretty shady for most of the day. It kinda whimpered out halfway through the summer last year and I didn't think it would survive the winter. This Spring it has popped out of the ground, but it shifted slightly into the sunnier spot of the corner. I think it's amazing how plants can just decided it doesn't quite like where it is and so it just moves..!


Columbine: Last year I grew some Columbine from seeds! I planted it in the back shady corner where the soil is usually well drained. It was the first plant to start growing this Spring! It has already gotten pretty big. There are also little Columbine sprouting around it from self-seeding. Last year the leaves had leaf-miners so maybe I can figure out how to prevent that this year.


Hosta: The Hostas have been pretty happy since they were transplanted. Some of them are in a spot that was too sunny for them but the other plants around them grew tall by summertime and shaded them. Will have to do that again or move them to a shadier spot... The challenge this year will be to keep them from being eaten up by slugs. Ew, slugs!


Purple Coneflower and Blue Delphinium: Both of these were new last year, a pair each. Happily both Coneflowers made it through the winter. Only one Delphinium survived which is maybe not too much of a surprise. I think the other one was a weaker plant as it died off much earlier in the Fall than did the other one. Now I have to think about getting another Delphinium and where to place it.


Ferns: I almost thought that the ferns didn't survive and I was going to be very sad about it. They were the last of the perennials to come up but they are making up for being in last place. They have really grown a lot, even over the last few days!

Next Up: I'm planning on getting Coleus and Impatients to fill in the flower beds although I'm not sure what colors yet. There is still a patch of ground that is unfilled. Last year we grew sunflowers there, before that some vegetables that didn't fair well (too shady for vegetables), and it is currently a digging spot for the kids. We would like to grow some vegetables this year but if we do it will have to be a container garden.

Spring garden notes from the rest of you? Hopes, plans, challenges?



Comments

Popular Posts