Writing Exercise


Evelyn had to do a writing exercise at school. You look at a picture of a soldier from WWI and write your own story of who he was and what he may have been thinking. Evelyn's paper amazed her teacher and the other kids in class. I thought I would share it with you too. She's such a talented writer!

Name: Doug
Age: 42
Hometown: Indianapolis, Indiana
Family: Uncle Fred, sister Caroline, Dad James, Mom Brunwella, deceased

Thought:
"I hate it. All these battles. I just want to go home. It's killing me. Slowly, bit by bit, I am being emotionally torn apart. This World War is killing my friends. The U.S. is low on supplies where I'm from, and I want it to stop. We're winning, but killing these people makes me feel like I'm losing. Maybe it would be better if I dropped dead at my work. Cramped up here, low amounts of food rationed out to us each day. Dodging the bullet shells, running from mustard gas... I'm tired of it. I remember three month ago. That Christmas was beautiful. Axis and Allies, calling a truce, being so kind to everyone, the Axis even gave us a cake! If I die it will be so much more peaceful. I might die, but I'm no longer afraid. I'm ready."

Comments

Popular Posts