A St. Patrick's Day Catch-up
The weather has started warming up and the snow is disappearing more and more each day. It was even "warm" enough for me to walk to the store and pick up some things to add to our dinner.
Pascha is getting closer. I've been saving up onion skins in a mason jar for dying red eggs.
We're halfway through Lent and it's always at this point that I feel like one of those dried up skins looking forward to new life.
St. Patrick's Day is today! The kids made sure to wear green. No getting pinched for them! I've been enjoying my Shamrocks on the kitchen windowsill. Their bright green is a perfect antidote for the winter blues.
We also enjoyed the St. Patrick's Day Parade in town on Saturday. We got some treats from the bakery while we waited. It was fun to celebrate with our community (which started out the festivities with mass at the Catholic church; not being Catholic ourselves it was still good that they started off by remembering Saint Patrick and not turning things into merely a celebration of all things green and Irish).
After the parade we stopped at the Library's book sale. The kids each got some books at an amazing price of three books for 25 cents. I found this little treasure of a book for myself for a dollar twenty-five. It's a Victorian replica binding, with 24K gold details and golden top pages, of Henry David Thoreau: Walden and Other Writings. I am enjoying his writings very much! Much more than I appreciated them in college, where you only read it in order for someone else to tell you what his work meant. Much better to find out what it means to you instead!




Comments
A very happy St. Pat's to you!
What a lovely book and thanks for the reminder I still need to find an alternative to onion skins now that we know ds is allergic.