St. Barsanuphius on Nature


For one who has acquired the love and habit of examining his surroundings, 
life in nature is beneficial; 
it saves him from petty, one-sided thinking 
and imparts to him a broader vision, integrity, and depth. 
 - St. Barsanuphius


We have had a lot of odd and enchanting little critters around lately. We found a laurel sphinx moth, a wooly bear caterpillar, and a Hickory Tussock Moth caterpillar. Our tree frogs are still hanging out on the back porch, trilling when the weather turns wet. The fall leaves are still not turning and I've heard it said that the season is expected to be two weeks behind. However, that is good news for the mums and geraniums that are still in bloom.


It is the perfect time of year to spy mushrooms of all sorts. Some are long time residents, wooly bearded folk wearing a thick green coat.


This is the Tussock caterpillar. It's a definite look but don't touch; the long white hairs are irritating.


The wet weather is great for spurring the growth of mushrooms. This one was bigger than my handspan! How does such a large thing suddenly appear?!

There are so many metaphors for life tucked away in the folds of nature. I enjoy taking walks and pondering the meaning of little things and teasing interesting thoughts out of the way a flower blooms. I have been trying to get out in the mornings to take a walk. My legs are very lazy and have many appealing excuses to not exercise but it is usually my eyes that drag my legs along - just what is that up there that I see, let's go look at it! Well, so it goes.

Comments

Michelle M. said…
I have been trying to walk more, too. Thankfully, we have a nice neighborhood to walk around in now. There is a little pond and some woods around. With all of the rain, we've seen lots of mushrooms pop up, too. I posted about it just a few days ago (on the blog). Your photos are beautiful!
Michelle M. said…
Trending on Facebook this morning: Venomous Caterpillar: White Hickory Tussock Moth Caterpillar Reportedly Spotted in Pennsylvania
The venomous caterpillar, which originates from Canada, has been spotted along the Montour Trail, according to CBS Pittsburgh. The species is known for causing skin irritation.

Apparently, they are in PA , too.
Emily H. said…
I'm so glad to hear you have a nice place to walk - it makes a big difference in actually *wanting* to go for a walk!

Watch out for those caterpillars if they're in PA too! Some kids at a daycare up here ended up with rashes from picking them up. I'm told that they feel like nettles.

Popular Posts