Rambling Through the Summer Garden





In early summer we had drought conditions. We even had a burn ban because it was so dry for so long. I kept busy with watering the garden every day so it could limp along and make it through the long dry spell. Even that was not enough and my plants would wilt in the sun.

Without a hose to reach far enough and having no soaker hose I improvised a slow water drip by filling 2 liter bottles with water and inverting them into the soil. That was a tremendous improvement! I only had to lug a watering can out to the garden in the afternoon rather than twice a day.


And finally it rained! We had several thunderstorms blow through, drenching the ground and sending a much needed reprieve for the dead grass in the lawn. The garden responded with much thanks, blossoming and fruiting amid their suddenly lush branches.




We've found lots of little critters living with us, some more welcome than others. We found two salamanders in our yard so far. The kids were delighted to look at them closely and gently touch them. We ushered them back into their shady, moist homes to maybe enjoy another hello later on.


The tomato plants are doing really well - better than any other time I've tried to grow tomatoes! There are lots of green tomatoes and they are still flowering so I expect to get a decent harvest.


The green peppers are having a harder time. Something had been eating away at their leaves. It makes the two peppers growing on them all the more appreciated.


The cabbage plants are getting bigger despite the holes nipped in the leaves. They have fared much better than the rhubarb, whose leaves are nearly stripped bare. I haven't found the culprit in action yet, but when I do...


My carrots are doing very well! The kids are already asking when they will be ready to pick!

Overall I'm quite please with how the garden is turning out. Next year I would like to expand it and try growing a few more things.

Comments

elizabeth said…
yay for your garden and all that is in it! rain is so important! what a good idea, the inverted water bottle! home grown tomatoes are so good!
GretchenJoanna said…
I've never seen a photo of a bee in such a close embrace with its flower! These are lovely midsummer photos of your garden and its inhabitants.

Popular Posts