Little Golden Moments

A daisy field we found while biking.

Biking home with a basket full of daisies.

A pretty summer bouquet!

Morning light and terracotta lovelies!

Working on a project...


I built this wooden bench for some extra seating on the deck.

I made a new wooden top for my baker's stand with some help from my dad.

Tart cherry puff pastry.

My very good friend Khouria Charlotte!

I was very excited to find out that she moved from out-of-state to our neighboring town! 

Arrangement of peonies and catmint.

A visit to St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church for the Dormition.

Yours truly got another year older!

Homemade biscuits are some of my favorite things to make!

Mmm... melt-y butter and honey!

Our deacon's wife shared some of her honey from her bees with everyone at church!

Purple cabbage in the garden, just beginning to form a head.

...with flowers in her hair!

Lily pad at the lake.

Lily flower!








A chair I'm fixing up - sanded clean!

Homemade raspberry jam!

The jam was needed to make Raspberry Apple Tarts.

Spoonful of deliciousness!






Lots of goodies from the garden!



We have had a very nice summer this year. It wasn't spent doing very much of anything sensational but rather like a string of pearls it was spent in tiny golden moments strung together with blessedly quiet, mundane days. That is not to say that everything always went perfectly well either - I spent about two weeks with poison ivy rash on my hands and face, our air conditioning died on a very hot and humid summer day - but through it all there were little blessings to be discovered in these little trials. Even in the ordinary and boring days of summer there were things to thank and praise God for. I always remember our Bishop Anthony, while he was still our priest, would tell us that the Cross was rough and wooden but it was up to us to make it golden and smooth. I could understand that on an intellectual level but this summer I have had plenty of time to understand what he meant on an experiential level. In all our sufferings, in all our good times, and at every moment in between we have the opportunity to keep our eyes, hearts, and minds on Christ by praising and thanking Him for all the things He gives. In this way our own crosses are truly lightened and made easy. Every sacrifice we make of ourselves for others adds another square of gold-leafing to our cross and polishes it to a gleaming brightness of love for others and God. And if you are like myself, this does not always come quickly and easily but I am reminded and glad for the example of the Orthodox church year. Our year consists of a staccato of fasting followed by a bright feast, fasting, feast... There is plenty of time for me to miss the point and to try again, and maybe still miss the point but eventually the feast always comes no matter where we are at in our struggle, glory be to God! But these are just my imperfect musing and you may take them to heart as you like, or not.


Comments

elizabeth said…
what a beautiful church! your flowers, bouquets, garden, the honey; all so beautiful. I am so very glad! I really liked those words by the now Bp. Anthony. thank you. so very nice about your lovely friend and Kh. moving nearby. I am still praying for friends here; I have some for sure, but it's not anything like I had in Ottawa. But I am doing my best to face forward as it is and keep trusting God for it all. Many years also to you; I turn 40 this December. God is good to us, through all the trails and sufferings that we can have. God bless you. Do love your blog.
Emily H. said…
Thanks Elizabeth! I enjoy your blog too and I'm so glad to see that you'll have a bigger audience for your peaceful and thoughtful writing!

Having good Orthodox friends, especially ones you're comfortable sharing with, is so important! Khouria Charlotte moved away, and then we moved away and I didn't have any close Orthodox friends. Somehow, by God's grace rather, we ended up together again! I hope you'll have a similar experience!
GretchenJoanna said…
I hadn't thought of the cycle of fasting and feasts in just that way before, like a continual gift of being able to start over, each time with a reminder of the bountiful gift of grace in the feasts that come so often, but not too often at all!

Thank you!

Popular Posts