Axios! He is worthy!



This last Tuesday our parish St. James Orthodox Church celebrated their 30th Anniversary and Patronal Feast on the feast day of St. James, the brother of the Lord. During the heirarchical Divine Liturgy Bishop Anthony elevated my husband to the order of Deacon! Axios! The liturgy was absolutely beautiful and it seemed like the joy and brightness of Pascha spilled over into our small church! 

It was absolutely wonderful to have Bishop Anthony with us at St. James. We had our Bishop, nine priests, four deacons, and a subdeacon along with the altar servers. Somehow all eighteen fit into the small altar! We were very appreciative of everyone who traveled a great distance to be with us for this occasion. Fr. Nabil came all the way from Indianapolis, Fr. Michael and Subdeacon Chris came from Toledo and many other priests came from Grand Rapids, halfway across the state.

The people of St. James did an excellent job of preparing everything for the Bishop's arrival. They were a living example of the ten wise virgins expecting their beloved Bridegroom. The church was sparkling clean and dressed in white flowers. The dinner following the Liturgy was elegant, yet quaint and comfortable.

I am thankful to everyone at St. James for their support and love for us. They are willing to help in any way needed and I can always count on open arms to take Leo. That was very helpful as Leo finally got to sleep right before the ordination and I had a happy volunteer to hold him so I could get some pictures.

We look forward to serving the community of St. James. May we be accounted worthy!
Axios to my dear husband, the new Deacon Benjamin!

Comments

elizabeth said…
Axios!!!! I am so happy for you all!!! It is one of your Pascha experiences for sure!!! congratulations!!! (in the Russian tradition you would not be called a Matushka!!!) Many years to your husband, yourself and your entire family!!! Many heartfelt congratulations and much love to you!!!
GretchenJoanna said…
How wonderful!! Axios! Glory to God for 40 years and for the grace to celebrate and commemorate so beautifully!
GretchenJoanna said…
I meant to type 30 years !

Popular Posts