Kitchen Makeover Reveal
At long, long last we have finally updated our kitchen! When we moved into our new home the kitchen was painted a deep red. It had linoleum in the kitchen area and carpet in the eat-in portion of the kitchen. The sink was an old, stained and etched porcelain sink with a leaking faucet.
It was time to brighten up the kitchen, fix a few things, and give it a look that we would enjoy for many years to come. I decided on a neutral palette - creamy white walls, marble style countertops, and dark oak vinyl plank flooring.
So here we go!
The red walls in the kitchen were not only very red, there were multiple reds painted in patches here and there. We filled a lot of the dents and scrapes in the walls and fixed the rough patch jobs from the previous owners. Once the walls were fixed up we primed the walls and painted them in "White Almanac".
We used to have the computer on a small bookshelf with the microwave next to it on a baker's shelf. Now we have a nice console table to hold both and with a much slimmer profile it opens up a little more space.
The red walls really swallowed up the light before. Now the bright walls illuminate every corner of the kitchen.
Good-bye carpet! Having a baby who throws food over the side of the highchair is not a good combination with carpet! We also got new table and chairs. We wanted a round table so we could pull the highchair up to the table. It also is easier to move around than our other table. The table also has a leaf that can be added to it, allowing it to seat six people.
I spray painted our old cabinet with a light gray chalk paint. It really modernized the piece!
We got new counter tops. The old ones were worn, chipped, and I really didn't like the faux butcher block. The new counter tops are Carrara Bianco by Formica. We moved the baker's shelf to the end of the counter, adding a little more usable counter space.
The counters have a sparkly sheen to them which mimic marble texture. The pattern on the counters are high resolution scans of a real marble slab. Both of these features give it a natural feel while still providing the durability and easy maintenance of laminate.
The light under the upper kitchen cabinets was always so dark. Now the white walls and shiny countertop surface bounces light around.
We got a new stainless steel sink and faucet. I really dislike porcelain sinks because they stain and they are very unforgiving if you should knock over a dish. The old faucet was a single handle adjustment and the mechanism had eroded due to hard water and slowly leaked constantly. The new two-handle faucet works wonderfully and the water temperature can be adjusted easier.
Our new floor is SmartCore Luxury Vinyl Plank in Stillwater Oak. The old linoleum was decades out of style but still in fairly good condition. The new floor is beautiful! And I couldn't resist "then and now" photos of Leo enjoying the floor!
LVP has the look and texture of wood while being more durable and waterproof.
We haven't done much decorating yet. Maybe we'll get some new artwork for the large wall above the computer. We also intend to replace the diner-style light fixtures in the kitchen.
I am really so pleased with the way the kitchen has turned out! It is so much brighter and happier. It's cleaner and much more functional for our family!

Comments
We lived for thirteen years and five children in a house with carpet under the dining table, and then moved to another house with carpet in the dining area!! I'm very happy for you that you were able to rectify that very impractical situation sooner than I did.
I am going to have the luxury vinyl in my new "sewing room" that has yet to be started except on paper, but I'll have the tiles instead of planks. I had never heard of it until I started researching for this project, but it sounds like a good product.
Gretchen Joanna, you will love the vinyl tiles. A friend from church did one of her floors with them and she really liked how it turned out! I hope you share pictures of your project!