Wildflowers and Reflections

Evelyn picked some tiny wildflowers for me. They came unexpectedly out of the ground, roots and all and have been thriving in just a small vase of water. 
I think I'll plant them outside... 

Dominic has learned to mow the grass. This could be the start of something beautiful! 

We went on a trip to see my parents in Ohio. 
Leo loved sitting on Opa's tractor mower! 

Leo loved being in Nana and Opa's backyard. One morning we trod barefoot through the cold and dewy grass just to enjoy roaming about through the garden. 

One of reasons we came was to see my own Nana's house one last time before it was sold. The day that we were there auctioneers came to divide my Nana's things into lots for the online auction. It was a strange and meaningful day. Here, my mom sits with Leo as he became the latest in a long line of grandchildren who have not so delicately tickled those ivories. 

This basement window was my Secret Garden as a child. It was a magical window, morning light streaming in past lush foliage planted just below the window. 
It's still a magical window, but for other reasons.

Nana and Papa's wine cellar, which was always dark, thick with cobwebs and dusty jars. As children, we weren't allowed to be in there, but that never stopped us from peaking in there. 


 A much worn cabinet handle, which reminded me of a poem called What Came to Me by Jane Kenyon, from the book Otherwise. 

I took the last
dusty piece of china 
out of the barrel.
It was your gravy boat,
with a hard, brown
drop of gravy still
on the porcelain lip.
I grieved for you then
as I never had before.

How many time did my mother encounter this as she cleaned out her mother's house?

There were lots of other wonderful poems but now that I've written this one down I suppose I can return the book to the library.

I remember when this Japanese Maple was planted. Look at it now!





At my parent's house Dominic helped my dad trim tree branches, cut down a tree, and helped with other yard work. 

 An old wheelbarrow cloaked in Queen Anne's Lace. I read that organic blueberry farmers grow it near their plants to help draw in beneficial bugs. I'll have to tell my mom that she was very strategic in allowing those weeds to grow near their blueberry plants!






Yesterday the kids and I went to a nearby metropark. We enjoyed a stroll along the trails, stopping to marvel at the wildflowers. 
The small rapids were musical, calming... 
We could have lingered by the river all day. 















Comments

elizabeth said…
beautiful post here and such lovely pictures! I love that book by Jane Kenyon! Not easy to say goodbye to a home you have known for so long. My Grandparents built houses (many of them) to live in a few years and then do it again, selling the few-years-old-house for a profit to help with income. I remember all of there houses (that I am old enough to remember)... now my Grandma lives in an apartment, small, subsidized... my Oma and Opa sold their house before I was born I think; they lived in the same (rented) apartment for decades, before my Oma moved to a retirement home.... it's not like it was a long time ago, or at least our impression of a long time ago, when people stayed in one place and houses were passed down. God bless you! love your blog posts, as always. <3
GretchenJoanna said…
I don't know how I missed this post weeks ago! What a blessed visit to the places and people of your roots. It's wonderful that you were able to look with loving eyes again at your grandparents' house and take pictures knowing it would be the last time.

It's interesting about the Queen Anne's lace drawing beneficial insects. I've often wondered if I could get it to grow in my garden, and this gives me another reason to try.

Popular Posts