Toddlers Speak in Poetry


I laid Leo down for a nap in his crib. He had his little garbage truck, which he sometimes calls a "Dump", with him. He was tired and as he lay looking at his truck he started talking. It struck me as being very poetic, the rhythm of words balanced in a lyrical sort of way. Each word was imparted with a heavy weight of meaning, as only a toddler can do.  For instance,"Milk" usually means more than milk, it means "I'm thirsty and I want milk. Won't you follow me to the kitchen and you'll get it out of the refrigerator and pour me a cup from the big jug of milk." Here is what he said to himself right before he fell asleep.


Dada big.
Dump big.

Dada. Mama.

Dig, dump.
Dig, dump.
Mama, Dada.
Mama, Dada,

Dada nap.
Shhh!
(whispering)
Mama, Dada.
Mama, Dada.

Comments

Popular Posts