Forty Lark Buns

 

Zhavoronki, or Lark Buns, are traditionally baked to celebrate the Forty Martyrs of Sebaste. Forty little birds are baked, one for each martyr. This was my first time making them. They were very delicious and had it not been for pandemic restrictions I would have like to share them with everyone at church. Next year I suppose I will. The recipe was pretty simple but I need to work on my bird shaping technique. The little heads I made tended to droop as they baked in the oven and we ended up with some rather somber looking birds. Below you'll find the recipe I used from St. Necktarios Orthodox Church. I hope you'll enjoy them as much as we did!

Zhavoronki Recipe Serves 40

6 cups flour

1 cup sugar

2 sticks margarine

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2 cups warm water

1 package dry yeast

orange zest, to taste

raisins, for eyes

Mix the warm water, yeast, sugar, and enough of the flour so that you have a batter about as thick as sour cream. Let the batter sit until it has risen slightly and is bubbly.

Add the rest of the flour, the margarine and the orange zest (if using). Knead well (about ten minutes). Place in a greased bowl and let rise until doubled in size.

Using a knife or pastry cutter, divide the dough into 40 pieces. Roll each piece into a long hot dog shape. Tie each piece into a knot. Make one end into the shape of a head for the bird by pinching a beak. The other end will be the tail feathers … with a knife create that look. Put a raisin on each bird for the eye.

Place on a greased baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes at 325 degrees.





Comments

Popular Posts